Monday, November 4, 2013

Top Taupe

Since moving back to Massachusetts this summer, I've found myself trying to tone down my everyday makeup look at bit.  The Bay State just doesn't seem to embrace a daytime smokey eye the way the Windy City did.  In order to achieve a more natural eye look while still getting use out of some of my more colorful shadows, I've been pairing many looks with taupe eyeliner.  Here are the three drugstore taupes that I've been working with.  Each has it's pluses and minuses.

  • Maybelline Master Drama in Taupe Takeover is the best formula out of the three I have.  It goes on smoothly and lasts really well.  Bonus points for not having to sharpen it! This is a limited edition shade from spring or summer, but I'm still seeing it around.  My only complaints are that the color can look a little red or purple, especially on the lower lash line, and I'd prefer if it was matte.
  • Wet N Wild Coloricon liner in Taupe can actually be used as a liner or a brow pencil.  While it's too dark for my brows, I like that it's totally matte, and the shade is really ideal for what I'm looking for in a taupe liner.  Unfortunately, this doesn't go on that smoothly and the lasting power isn't great.  I really have to press firmly when applying this, and even then it tends to skip.  But for 99 cents, it isn't awful.
    L to R: Maybelline, Wet N Wild, Rimmel
  • Rimmel Scandaleyes Kohl Kajal in taupe claims to be waterproof.  It lasts pretty well, but maybe not quite as long as the Maybelline one.  The formula is super creamy and smooth.  Application is simple.  I do think that this wears down quickly and I find myself sharpening it often.  Not a huge deal, though I prefer an automatic pencil.  This is the liner that I've been reaching for the most of the three.  I hesitated to pick this up for quite a while, since the ones in the drugstore or Ulta didn't have safety seals on them and often looked like they'd been tested.  On a recent trip to Chicago though, I found them individually packaged and priced at $3.99 in Target.  I think they are priced a bit higher in CVS.  So if you're interested in any of the Rimmel liners,  I suggest heading to Tarjay.
Do you have a favorite taupe?  Please comment below if there's one I need to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment